Join our Summer Camp(aign)!
Want to heat up your summer vacation with a little social change? Join our online activist camp(aign) to Make It Better this summer!
Students should be able to take more than the summer off from bullying. As an online camp(aign)er, you can stay engaged over the summer and make it better come the fall!
Step 1: Join the Make It Better Summer group on Facebook! You can ask questions, give advice, and connect with other youth working for safer schools all over the country!
Step 2: Tune in to Make It Better Summer sessions! Starting on July 21st and running weekly through August 18th, the Make It Better Project will host one-hour camp sessions. Just stop by this page, the Livestream tab of the main Make It Better Project Facebook page, or the official Livestream channel on Thursdays at 4 pm PT/ 7 pm EST! Gay-Straight Alliance Network youth trainers will cover everything from your rights as a student to starting a GSA in your school, and you'll be able to ask questions and meet other LGBT and allied youth!
Make It Better Summer Camp(aign) Sessions:
Thursdays at 7 pm EST / 4 pm PT
- July 21: Orientation Session: Learn about the Make It Better Project, the facts about LGBT bullying, and even what it really means to be a "boy" or "girl." Updated: Click to watch the full, recorded session!
- July 28: Start a Gay-Straight Alliance & Make It Better in Your School: GSA clubs are one of the best ways to make your school safer for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth. Tune in to learn how to start one and to learn about different actions you can take in your school, with or without a GSA! Updated: Video's now up!
- August 4: Make It Better by Telling Your Story: Telling your story is a form of activism that can help change the minds of your peers, your teachers, your neighbors, and even your legislators. Learn how to talk about your experiences in a way that can change society. Video's now up!
- August 11: Know Your Rights! Youth from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) will present this workshop on the legal steps you can take to fight discrimination in your school. Video's now up!
- August 18: Become a Kickass Straight Ally! Featuring We Are Straight But Not Narrow's Avan Jogia (star of Nickelodeon's Victorious) answering YOUR questions about being a straight ally! Video's now up!